Since beginning tertiary study in 1992 I've studied psychology and anthropology (University of Otago, BA/Dip Grad), nursing (Auckland University of Technology, BHSc Nursing; Thames Valley University of London, ENB249; Victoria University of Wellington, MN; current Registered Nurse in NZ) and tertiary teaching (Auckland University of Technology, Certificate in Tertiary Teaching). My current focus is reaching my next goal, successful completion of my PhD.
Having worked for 10 years as a critical care nurse, flight nurse and associate charge nurse manager at Wellington Regional Hospital ICU, in 2014 I transitioned into a formal teaching role at Auckland University of Technology as a nurse lecturer. I maintain a passion for critical care nursing, leadership and management, quality improvement in healthcare, and creating positive workplaces. Closely aligned with this passion for creating positive workplaces is workonwellbeing.com (WOW). Of most importance, is my role in my family as mother, wife, sister, daughter, aunt, and cousin.
Current Research and Projects
My research and practice interests include critical care nursing, quality in healthcare, student and workplace engagement and motivation, with a particularly focus on wellbeing, positive leadership and positive organisations. One of my current projects is investigating critical care nurse wellbeing as my PhD research programme.
Publications in progress
- Jarden, R., Schofield, G., Jarden, A., Mackay, L., Hamling, K., Reddy, P., & Duncan, S. (201X). Working women's wellbeing. (in progress).
- Jarden, R, Sutton-Smith, L, Boulton, C. . (201X). Oral intake evaluation in patients following critical illness: An ICU cohort study. Nursing in Critical Care (in press).
- Jarden, R., Jarden, A., & Oades, L. (2017). Wellbeing policy in Australia and New Zealand. In M. Slade, L. Oades & A. Jarden. (Eds.), Wellbeing, Recovery and Mental Health (pp 207-214). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Thin, N., Tarragona, M., Wong, P., Jarden, R., Bartholomaeus, J., & Jarden, A. (2017). Book review for International Journal of Wellbeing. Estes, Richard J., and M. Joseph Sirgy [eds] (2017), The Pursuit of Human Well-Being: The Untold Global History. International Journal of Wellbeing, 7(1), 84-91. doi:10.5502/ijw.v7i1.636
- Invited book contribution: Shaw, S., Horne, W., Reid, D., & Reed, K. (2017). A guide to clinical skills for health students. Oxford University Press.
- Invited conference presentation (presented by first author L. Sutton-Smith): ANZICS 2017 conference free paper presentation based on the 2016 publication: Improving the quality of nurse-influenced patient care in the intensive care unit (Sutton & Jarden, 2016).
- Jarden, A., and Jarden, R. (2016). Positive psychological assessment for the workplace. In L Oades et al. (Eds.), The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of the Psychology of Positivity and Strengths-Based Approaches at Work. doi: 10.1002/9781118977620.ch22
- Sutton, L., & Jarden, R. (2016). Improving the quality of nurse-influenced patient care in the intensive care unit. Nursing in Critical Care. doi: 10.1111/nicc.12266. (Epub ahead of print).
- Jarden, A., & Jarden, R. (2015). Applied positive psychology in higher education, (Ch 5). In M. Henning, C. Krägeloh, & G. Wong-Toi (Eds), Student Motivation and Quality of Life in Higher Education. NY: Routledge
- Jarden, R. & Sutton, L. (2015). A practice change initiative to improve the provision of enteral nutrition to intensive care patients. Nursing in Critical Care, 20(5), doi: 10.1111/nicc.12107.
- Jarden, R., & Quirke, S. (2010). Improving safety and documentation in intrahospital transport: Development of an intrahospital transport tool for critically ill patients. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 26(2). 101-107.
- Jarden, R. (2009). Gastric residual volumes in the adult intensive care patient: A systematic review. Thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the Master of Nursing. Victoria University of Wellington.
- Scrimgeour, R. (2008). Development and Implementation of an Intrahospital Transport Record. Poster presentation ANZICS Conference 2008. Retrieved from:http://www.wellingtonicu.com/Data/Presentations/Development%20And%20Implementation%20of%20an%20Intrahospital%20Transport%20Record.pdf