My tertiary studies incuded psychology and anthropology (University of Otago, BA/Dip Grad), nursing (AUT University, BHSc Nursing; Thames Valley University of London, ENB249; Victoria University of Wellington, MN; current Registered Nurse in NZ & Australia) and tertiary teaching (AUT University, Certificate in Tertiary Teaching). My PhD (AUT University) was a mixed methods program of research focusing on conceptualising intensive care nurse work wellbeing.
I've primarily nursed in cardio-thoracics and tertiary critical care across a range of roles including flight retrieval and associate charge nurse manager - largely at Wellington Regional Hospital ICU. In 2014 I transitioned into a formal teaching role at Auckland University of Technology as a nurse lecturer, then to the University of Melbourne. I maintain a passion for critical care nursing, leadership and management, quality improvement in healthcare, and creating positive workplaces. Closely aligned with this passion for creating positive workplaces is workonwellbeing.com (WOW). Of most importance, is my role in my family as mother, wife, sister, daughter, aunt, neice, and cousin.
Current Research and Projects
My research and practice interests include critical care nursing, quality in healthcare, student and workplace engagement and motivation, with a particularly focus on wellbeing, positive leadership and positive organisations.
Research in progress
Research in progress
- Jarden, R., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. A prototype analysis of critical care nurse wellbeing.
- Hamling, K., Jarden, R., Jarden, A., & Synard, J. Epistemological fruit salad: Broadening methodology in positive psychology research to develop contextualised interventions and understandings of well-being.
- Jarden, A., Chin, T., & Jarden, R. Assessing wellbeing in school communities.
- Jarden, R., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. Systematic review and quality appraisal of workers' wellbeing measures.
- Jarden, R., Jarden, A., Weiland, T., Taylor, G., & Gerdtz, M. Nurse wellbeing, work wellbeing and mental health.
- Jarden, R., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. (in press). Conceptual model for intensive care nurse work wellbeing: A qualitative secondary analysis. Nursing in Critical Care.
- Jarden, R. (2019). Conceptualising intensive care nurse work wellbeing: A mixed methods study, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) thesis. https://openrepository.aut.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10292/12584/JardenRJ.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y
- Jarden, R., Narayanan, A., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. (2019). Bibliometric mapping of intensive care nurses' wellbeing: Development and application of the new iAnalysis model. BMC Nursing, 18(21), 1-11. doi: 10.1186/s12912-019-0343-1
- Jarden, R., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. (2019). Intensive care nurse wellbeing: A systematic review. Australian Critical Care. doi: 10.1016/j.aucc.2018.11.068
- Jarden, R., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. (2018). Intensive care nurse conceptions of wellbeing: A prototype analysis. Nursing in Critical Care, 23(6), 324-331. doi: 10.1111/nicc.12379
- Jarden, R., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. (2018). Strengthening workplace wellbeing: Perceptions of intensive care nurses. Nursing in Critical Care. doi:10.1111/nicc.12386
- Jarden, R., Sandham, M., Siegert, R., & Koziol-McLain, J. (2018). Systematic review and quality appraisal of workers' wellbeing measures: A protocol. BMC Systematic Reviews, 7(240), 1-5. doi:10.1186/s13643-018-0905-4
- Jarden, R, Sutton-Smith, L, Boulton, C. . (2018). Oral intake evaluation in patients following critical illness: An ICU cohort study. Nursing in Critical Care. doi: 10.1111/nicc.12343
- Jarden, R., Jarden, A., & Oades, L. (2017). Wellbeing policy in Australia and New Zealand. In M. Slade, L. Oades & A. Jarden. (Eds.), Wellbeing, Recovery and Mental Health (pp 207-214). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Thin, N., Tarragona, M., Wong, P., Jarden, R., Bartholomaeus, J., & Jarden, A. (2017). Book review for International Journal of Wellbeing. Estes, Richard J., and M. Joseph Sirgy [eds] (2017), The Pursuit of Human Well-Being: The Untold Global History. International Journal of Wellbeing, 7(1), 84-91. doi:10.5502/ijw.v7i1.636
- Invited book contribution: Shaw, S., Horne, W., Reid, D., & Reed, K. (2017). A guide to clinical skills for health students. Oxford University Press.
- Invited conference presentation (presented by first author L. Sutton-Smith): ANZICS 2017 conference free paper presentation based on the 2016 publication: Improving the quality of nurse-influenced patient care in the intensive care unit (Sutton & Jarden, 2016).
- Jarden, A., and Jarden, R. (2016). Positive psychological assessment for the workplace. In L Oades et al. (Eds.), The Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of the Psychology of Positivity and Strengths-Based Approaches at Work. doi: 10.1002/9781118977620.ch22
- Sutton, L., & Jarden, R. (2016). Improving the quality of nurse-influenced patient care in the intensive care unit. Nursing in Critical Care. doi: 10.1111/nicc.12266.
- Jarden, A., & Jarden, R. (2015). Applied positive psychology in higher education, (Ch 5). In M. Henning, C. Krägeloh, & G. Wong-Toi (Eds), Student Motivation and Quality of Life in Higher Education. NY: Routledge
- Jarden, R. & Sutton, L. (2015). A practice change initiative to improve the provision of enteral nutrition to intensive care patients. Nursing in Critical Care, 20(5), doi: 10.1111/nicc.12107.
- Jarden, R., & Quirke, S. (2010). Improving safety and documentation in intrahospital transport: Development of an intrahospital transport tool for critically ill patients. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 26(2). 101-107.
- Jarden, R. (2009). Gastric residual volumes in the adult intensive care patient: A systematic review. Thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the Master of Nursing. Victoria University of Wellington. 2008
- Scrimgeour, R. (2008). Development and Implementation of an Intrahospital Transport Record. Poster presentation ANZICS Conference 2008. Retrieved from: http://www.wellingtonicu.com/Data/Presentations/Development%20And%20Implementation%20of%20an%20Intrahospital%20Transport%20Record.pdf